3.08.2010

Uncle Oscar


Best Dressed
Sandra Bullock in Marchesa
Sandra Bullock looks flawless in this metallic and embroidered gold (with vintage lace) Marchesa number. In one word, she looked elegant. This dress was perfect for a best actress nominee as she resembled the statue she took home at the end of the night. With her old Hollywood hair, bold red lip and simple accessories, Sandy B truly sparkled. 
You go Gracie Lou Freebush!
Best Color
Zoe Saldana in Givenchy
This regal lavender and purple gown was the most vibrant thing on the red carpet tonight. Many critics felt the dress was too long, too big, and too much but personally, I disagree. This is the kind of dress we need to see more of--glamorous and special runway finales (this was the Givency's finale number). I think the crystal beaded bodice and ombre tiers looked femine and Zoe Saldana pulled it off nicely. 


Most Pleasant Surprise
Miley Cyrus in Jenny Packham
Miley wore an embellished champagne Jenny Packham bustier dress with just enough sparkle. It was totally age appropriate and the best surprise look. 
(Note: next year Miley, stand up straight)

Best Volume
Rachel McAdams in Elie Saab Haute Couture
Rachel McAdams totally switched up her usual 1950's retro look and opted for a marvelous watercolor printed gown. It featured a pleated bodice and sweetheart neckline. The dress's volume was perfectly balanced with it's muted colors. She looks fresh-faced and natural. Simple hair and accessories completed the look.

Biggest Disappointment
Diane Kruger in Chanel
Diane looked chic and classic in Chanel but I really expected more from her, especially after her amazing dress choice at the Emmy's. I always eagerly anticipate Diane's red carpet looks but her adventure and vision fall short here. The dress is bottom heavy, unflattering and drab.  Diane usually can't go wrong in my books, (as an actress who has the vision to successfully do her own styling), but tonight she should have hired a stylist.


Most Overrated
Jennifer Lopez in Armani Prive
I just don't like the dress and don't understand how everyone else does.  I agree that her makeup and hair look beautiful but the dress doesn't do it for me. I feel like I've seen it before both on this red carpet (On Amanda Seyfried also in Armani Prive) and others (Lady Gaga's Armani Prive at The Grammy's). I also think the heavy tiers and bunching made her 'ass'ets a little over-pronounced. 

Most improved look
Maggie Gyllenhaal in Dries Van Noten
I am usually really anti-MG. I think she's plain, boring and makes fashion choices that feel drab. Tonight however she proved me wrong. She looks vibrant and youthful in this Dries print and the hot pink lipstick  perfectly completes the look.


Other wow's:
-SJP in Chanel Couture, supplied by my very own Kouba (the hair was a bit much, but all is forgiven with SJP)
-Meryl Streep in white Chris March (A Project Runway contestant--Bravo!)
-Charlize Theron in Dior by John Galliano (Am I the only one who didn't mind this? I get it, the roses are a little cinnabun but I like it!)


*images via getty & WireImage

3 comments:

  1. I could comment on this for hours...

    I have to disagree - something about Sandra's look is just off.

    Zoe Saldana! Thank you! Couldn't agree more!

    Miley Cyrus, great choices from head to toe.

    Completely agree JLo gets a big fat fail - seen it before, reminds of an amazing white Origami gown that Cameron Diaz once wore.

    But my pick for worst dressed would have to be Nicole Richie hands down, her entire look was inspired by a racoon, down to her tranny eye makeup.

    I agree I don't hate Charlize, once you get passed the headlights...great colour and fit.

    love you!

    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you would like charlize dress! manly because it is slightly mermaid bottomed and we know how much you love a mermaid bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 JessicaLEa --you right , I do love a good mermaid bottom...and this one isn't overkill...
    #2 H --I also agree that nicole ritchie was pretty boring...but had she dressed up crazy glam i think the would have been criticized for going overboard when she wasn't a nominee or relevant to the award. The only reason she was there was because Joel Madden DJ'd during the televised commercial breaks

    ReplyDelete